Steps of Development
A complete plan and time table are essential to developing the very best orchards and vineyards. The following are steps that LBFI takes on each new project, whether large or small.
- Identify land with development potential
- Investigate soil quality
- Investigate water potential
- Investigate environmental issues
- Chose crop to fit the soil and water
- Create financial projections
- Prove water, drill test wells
- Negotiate lease/purchase land
- Create partnership legal entity
- Develop water source
- Perform land prep
- Install irrigation system
- Plant crop
Other steps may include obtaining a preplant winegrape contract; installing a grape trellis system; contracting purchase of nursery plants; raising equity money from limited partners; obtaining term loan financing; obtaining crop financing; contracting with nut handlers.